Thursday, June 5, 2008

Still feeling adventurous?

A lot has been going on at El Portal...the Gateway....the AIM Mexico base where we are staying and working. Yesterday all of the summer staff had to practice driving the vans and driving in Mexico. Things are definitely different in Me-he-co. Will and I both did ok with the whole driving thing....you have to use extreme caution on the main roads and go very slowly in the colonias ( a colonia is like a large neighborhood/community....we will be working in 10 different churches this summer all part of a colonia). You also pass very weirdly in Mexico and that was interesting while I was driving yesterday. Also you if you get in a wreck you go to jail....scary!

We got to visit the three colonia's yesterday....they are really cool and the pastors we will be ministering to are awesome....the team really enjoyed getting out and actually being amongst the people of Mexico. At one church (Will's church and KA's church for now) we are building some bathrooms for them....pretty cool.....at another church we are moving the entire church building to the end of the street on a larger property....and at the last church we are going to start construction stuff in the colonia...the first on the agenda....fixing up a man's house who picks up scrap metal for a living....he said he had the choice to work on his house or fill his belly and he has been choosing to fill his belly....so we are going to help him. Things are awesome basically.

Last night Will and I crossed over and went to Wal-Mart to buy some things for the casa and what not. We bought things like pop ice, late night snacks, thing to hold your toilet paper, etc.

Today we have been continuing our trainings and team building stuff. It has been wonderful....even though Will and I are both rather sleepy today because of our trip to Wal-Mart last night.

Updates:
1. Feet still swollen, although putting them up and laying down during breaks has helped a lot.
2. Sink still not fixed, in fact our bathroom smells really bad....like hold your breath grab something and come out kind of bad.
3. We are trying to solve the hot water rotten egg smell, by running it for periods of 15 minutes to try to help with the sulfur in the pipes....so far, as you can tell by #2 it is only making things worse....but we have hope:)
4. AC not fixed, but our bedroom is nice and cool--so that is great!
5. Dogs destroyed the quilt Will made me and put my ring in to when he proposed....very sad!

Prayer Request:
1. Pray for translators...we are having trouble getting all we need
2. Pray for Will...he is going first on leading the whole project.
3. Pray for me....shower time makes me want to cry and whine....last night I sang praise songs to the Lord the whole time and it made it a little better.
4. Our sink gets fixed.
5. That we would be amazing and faithful servants of God and remember our responsibilities (there are sooooo many).

Praises:
1. Groceries....Wal-Mart can make Will and I happy in any country.
2. We LOVE the people we work with.
3. It has been shady and breezy today.
4. Will was struggling with me being on a team that is in a different colonia than him and finally he just told our boss.....I want to be with her....it is at least a closure to a prayer request earlier this week.
5. Dogs love it here, although they are hot as a moe.

4 comments:

Annyong said...

Will what are your cooridnates? Also Happy Birthday> I called you on your birthday but you didn't pick up. Oh yeah don't blame mexico for that either! haha

Annyong said...

Oh yeah love y'all and the reason for the lack of comments is I didn't know (or forgot) that y'all had this blog. I am excited you do though. I have been telling everyone the last week or so that I miss mexico, then brandon reminds me of the food and egg smell....but I still miss it some. Is Erasmo(sp?) there? If you find free airplane tickets on the ground or something send them to me and ill fly to see you!

Annyong said...

yeah yeah yeah three comments in a row... I found your coordinates

25 degress 58'18.99" North by
97 Degrees 40'58.32" West

Found it based off of my recollection from last year. =)

Let me know how close I am with these coordinates. =) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kids,
Thanks for the update on the blog. I check it every day. When Sarah gets back from Souled Out I'll let her help me set up an account, until then I'm anonymous. I'm praying for you and your requests. Keep the faith and remember God shows his power in our trials. Love you all,Judy