Monday, June 2, 2008

This is truly MISSION work!


this is our backyard--will is happy with it

WE ARE HERE!

So far so so crazy (in a wild, but good way), when we crossed the boarder Thomi (the base director) was in front of us, he went right on through...then it was our turn, the Mexican man in uniform, motioned for us to stop, I rolled down the window....he said something for a while and I replied...Hola....I quickly wished I would have brushed up like I said I would. He spoke to us for a while, and we were being as friendly as possible...Will and I were freaking out slightly at what was going on...but then he met Vera...who politely licked his hand and I said dos peros...then said amigos. He finally smiled and let us through.

So we love it, I mean it is defiantly missionary type living, but we love it. We have met a lot of staff people and had training tonight...it has been nice. We are still in a state of what will happen next, and what will it be like.

Some things that make it true to Mission life:
1. One of our two air conditioners is broken, so we spend most of our time in our little bedroom, where the AC does try its hardest...which we are so thankful for:)
2. One girl saw a snake tonight during a quiet prayer time we had.
3. The hot water smells of rotten eggs...big time....el grosso!
4. The cold water is very cold (oddly enough) and showers are turn it on...turn it off...wash a little, rinse. Interesting, Will says the hot water should smell better after running it a while.
5. Can't really use water anyway....we have a cooler full of purified water though.
6. It is realllllllly hot!

Praises:
1. No bugs to report on so far....great news for me!
2. We actually get one tiny little bar of internet in our house...in just the right spot in the corner of our bedroom- so we have the internet in our room, although it doesn't work all the time, and is slow...we do get it some.---Huge praise for a third world country, don't you think?
3. Safety:)

Two More Things:
1. Brandon our neighbor is Nena (for those of you who don't know Nena's is a hamburger place...we can get ice cream and a coke everyday). She is right in front of us and so are her chickens:)
2. Emily (Hawk) you would be disappointed...I packed way too much I think....shoes galore...I am bringing some back when we come back for the wedding.

Love everyone and please please continue to pray!

5 comments:

Carole's Travels said...

Karan Anne,
Glad y'all made it safely and that you have a little ac and internet. Isn't it amazing what things can make us happy??
Love the picture of you! Keep us updated on how you are doing!!
Carole

Anonymous said...

Hey Will and Karan Anne,
Thanks for the updated posting on the blog. We are always checking and hoping for new information on what is going on. We will continue to pray for ya'll daily. Thank goodness at least one a/c is working. And by the way it is hot here too! It hit 99 degrees today. Thanks for the phone call, sorry we missed you. Please try again. Love you, Judy Now that your mother/mother-in-law has had her say..... This is dad/father-in-law!!!!!!! I love you all...all 4 & 1/3 !!!! Be safe and careful as I ALWAYS SAY ! Now for the important communication. I'm cooking ribs, bread, scalloped potatoes, salad, baked beans, tea, appetizers, etc. Eat your hearts out. ( Said with love !!!! ) William - your mother just told me you left a yard maintenance schedule for me ............... I was hoping Ken would give ya'll grief when you returned and I had not fulfilled my agreement !!!! Last thing..... For all of William & Karan Anne's friends that know Judy & I, DO NOT SHOW UP FOR DINNER TOMMORROW. I'VE SEEN YA'LL EAT !!!!! There will NOT be enough !!!!!!!!! Love, Dad. (PS. I'm going to call (phone) as soon as your mother & I figure out how to post this message.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Vera,
Good job getting the humans across the border! I miss you and Rei. Keep up the good job.
Love, Lio

Brandon said...

If you are that close to Nina's then hopefully your walks there will be safer than mine! I will send yall some cash so you can live on pizzas and ice cream. Also...if you don't let me know your physical address soon I am going to go move your white house from your back yard to your front yard just to be annoying.

Love yall.
Brandon

Anonymous said...

You packed too much? I can't believe it. Oh and I have to do the on again off again shower on the ship as well. Also you would like this the toliet here flushes with the loud flush sound like on an airplane! how funny.

emily