Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Blessed Life


Me and Juan Jose at Living Water....I am a master at filling up cups now.

I got to hear two amazing testimonies today….one from the Pastor at the church we work at and one from a translator we work with. The Pastor’s was more of a story about how the Lord healed his two boys and Gilbert’s, the translator, was more about his entire life and how he ended up where he is today. It blessed me to hear amazing stories about God’s glory.

My feet reached a new low today, looking fatter than ever. It is gross looking, but it is worth it. Thought you might enjoy a picture...the strap lines are from crocs (you know the shoes that are lose, lightweight, and comfortable)

I asked one of our youth leaders this week if he packed bug spray, he said yes but that it normally takes ten days after rain for mosquitoes to come out…..HA! I didn’t say anything, but in my head I was sooo thinking…you are in for a rude awakening. Sure enough tonight they were out in full force. I’m talking swarms right when we stepped out of the house. We park our car as closely to the door and then run to wherever we are going. It is bad again, but we have a finish line this time.

At Living Water I taught a little boy (8 yrs. old) name Juan to throw away his trash. He kept coming back to me wanting more water. I told him that I saw him and his friends throwing the cups down in the park and it upset me. He brought back one of the cups and I refilled it. Then I had a mini lesson with him about making the park beautiful and not trashing it, etc. The next time he came up to me he had trash in his hands and he wanted to show me that he was collecting it and throwing it away. He did this several times and each time I praised him and gave him a high five. He also helped me fill water cups and was really receptive to my English praises. I showed him the book in the Bible named Juan (it was a Spanish Bible) and we read Juan 3:16 together….fun times! Pray for him if you think about it, his friends picked on him for doing the right thing.

The scorpion count is now at 11, by the way. This one was large and it was in our pantry. Will knocked it out and we took a picture of it.

When the groups were loading up on the bus today, Pastor Vazquez and his wife asked to speak with Will and myself. We had a translator and they said they wanted to bless us on our last day at the church with them, we of course told them that they were already a huge blessing and that was not necessary. They said they wanted to and that God put it on their hearts. So Thursday at snack time they are going to bless us with a special surprise. I think it involves food for Will, me, and the group. I am excited to see what it is:)

I had some free time this morning and I started packing, it is surreal that the summer is coming to a close.

We asked Gilbert, the amazing, godly translator, to make us a piñata for a coming home party Will and I have decided to throw ourselves. I won’t tell you what it is, but it is very representative of Mexico. By the way Gilbert makes piñatas for a living; AIM helped him start his own shop, so now everyone who wants a piñata goes to him. Oh and he can make a mean piñata, I’m talking the size of a six year old.

Almost 50 people got sick last night. We think it had something to do with the food. It was not a fun morning for Will, being the head PF of a lot of sick people…he had a lot of fires to put out.

Will misses his friends tremendously and I am growing bitter about Mexico and the youth leaders/group. So if you could please for us in that department….we want to be tools for the kingdom until the very last second we are here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

KARAN ANNE!!
i am so so so SO excited to see yall
on the ride home you need to keep your feet up!! yall have a GREAT last week i know you will miss it .
lots of love
sarah

Anonymous said...

I think your feet are allergic to pregnant.

JonathanK

Unknown said...

i think your swollen feet are an excellent excuse for a shopping trip once you are back home! who doesn't love new shoes?

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, Can't wait to see you two (three). I know it must be bitter/sweet for ya'll with the summer coming to a close... PLEASE call when you cross the border that last time Friday! FYI-we leave early Thursday for Key West, so if you hear Jimmy Buffet in the background, don't think you got a wrong number... Shaw's staying with Uncle Mike and will be home Monday Drive safely we all love you lots. DoDo and Byrd And Shawsome91

Jennifer said...

Those feet look familiar (I sported a similar look in pregnancy). Safe travels home.
Jennifer

Katherine and Brandon said...

OH MY GOSH!

That is all I can say.

NatalieK said...

First off I called your dad "doo doo" instead of "do do" because I can't read and didn't think! Katherine was here to hear the remark so it made it all the more funnier.

Ok about those feet... OMG (gosh)dang! I'll be a true friend and agree that those feet are NASTY! You need to hurry home to GA where it's only 98 degrees (no pun on the old school band).

See you this weekend!!! Yippee